COVID Emergency Rental Assistance (CERA) can provide rental and utility assistance for eligible landlords and renter households.
For More Information Visit
Wayne Metro CERA Program
How to Apply
Tenants and landlords can apply online
If assistance is needed navigating the application, contact:
Detroit, Hamtramck, or Highland Park: 866-31-2520 All other areas in Wayne County 734-284-6999
Up to 12 months of back rent assistance, with 3 months of forward rent for lowest income tenants. Landlord are also eligible for assistance.
Includes water, sewer, heat and electricity. Assistance is based on household size, the maximum amount is $2,500. Internet stipend is also available for those who present a bill.
CERA Program Eligibility
Low-income households in Wayne County (CLICK HERE to check the income threshold for other household situations) AND who have had a hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic including:
Renters with past-due rent and utility balances and those with subsidized housing can receive assistance if they meet the other eligibility requirements. Tenants or landlords can apply on behalf of a household. For full information about MSHDA’s CERA Program eligibility requirements, CLICK HERE.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR TENANTS
- Picture ID
- Income document examples: 2020 IRS 1040, pay stubs from last two months, unemployment letters or SSI letters
- Past-due rent notice or utility bills
- Copy of current lease agreement (if available)
- COVID Hardship
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LANDLORDS
- Signed, fully completed Landlord Application
- Copy of the lease (if a written lease was completed)
- Ledger showing tenant’s payment history in 2020 and 2021